The medical faculty of the Kiev University, reorganized in 1920 at the Kiev Medical Institute, was founded in April 1840. 22 medical students who entered the faculty listened to the first lecture on anatomy on September 9, 1841.
Due to the lack of proper premises for the placement of the medical faculty, its opening was scheduled for 1842, when it was supposed to complete the construction of the main university facility. However, the need for doctors, especially in connection with the widespread spread of epidemics in the country, was so great that in December 1840, Minister Uvarov, to change the previous decree, proposed the administration of the University of Kyiv from the beginning of 1841/42. To open the 1 st year of the medical faculty.